Monday 26 January 2015

It takes guts to be gentle and kind


I seem to be watching a lot of group panels of women in the Film and TV industry. Obviously, I watched the Hollywood Reporter roundtables with Reese Witherspoon - whom I now have a new found respect for - and Julianna Moore - who I've always had respect for. But I also watched the likes of Mindy Kaling and Lena Dunham talking about writing TV shows and films and when they were talking I just felt completely and utterly jealous. I realised that's what I want to do. These women are so influential to me and so many other young women worldwide and I just can't help but feel that it would be the greatest feeling. 


Mindy and Lena make they're shows real life (Lena in particular) by showing on-screen what no one usually talks about. This resonates with me so much because it makes me realise that what I thought was 'weird' is actually completely normal - it's society who is weird. They, and many other female writers, come under so much scrutiny because of this though, because apparently it's 'too much information'. But since when was information too much? Surely what we all want is to learn. To learn about different experiences, different cultures different ideas. Girls and The Mindy Project teach us these things, and as a young female, I need to hear it to know I'm not the only one.


That's what is so amazing about art in general - it makes you feel apart of something. You realise you're not the only one feeling a specific way. All I want in life is for more people to appreciate humanities and the arts. Being an English student can be hard. The question 'what do you study?' Sometimes haunts me, because you can't tell how they're going to react. A lot of this generation is obsessed with getting a job and this makes me incredibly sad. Why can't people do things because they love it? I'm sick of people asking me what I'm going to do with my degree after I've finished University because right now, I'm grateful that I'm even here in the first place.


So many people don't have an education in this world, and I feel many people take their's for granted. An education is the most important thing that we go through. It is a chance to discover worlds outside of your own and find your likes and dislikes. I feel most people now have a one-track mind and are not appreciating what is around them. Sometimes I do have doubts about everything though. What am I going to do? Am I just wasting my time while everyone else is working for the future? But I love English. Don't let those bullies get into your brain!


See, you don't have to be famous to be ridiculed and judged. We're all human. Read a book, it'll help you realise that and you'll gain so much empathy for people. In my view, that's the ticket to being a nice person - fully understanding how other's are feeling and adjusting yourself to fit with them. 









5 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you wrote. I'm not sure if I want to study film or literature, but I do know I want to study something I like, not something that will immediately get me a job or money. I think that scares my parents. It was really nice reading your post :)

    Maria

    http://immariav.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Sorry for commenting on the same post again, but I just wanted to tell you that I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. You can read more about it here: http://immariav.blogspot.com/2015/03/versatile-blogger-award.html

    :)

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll do this very soon!
      xx
      Ps - don't apologise for commenting on the same post twice, the most the merrier.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure about Girls, I want to like it but I don't think I do.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough. It seems to split many people, but I can understand why someone wouldn't like it. Thanks for the comment! x

      Delete

Have a comment? Type away!